Friday, May 13, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Outside Influences

A few weeks ago, Fashion Beauty Friend Friday talked about blogging inspirations. So many people referenced other fashion bloggers as huge inspiration. But there are many
other factors that influence us. This week we're exploring fashion inspiration beyond the blogging world.

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun by checking out the  Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And don't forget to check out Modly Chic - it's such a great blog.

My bedside table: Fashion books, vintage 1960's church hat, and thrifted 1950's glasses. My life in a nutshell.

1.  What magazines do you subscribe to?

I am a long-time subscriber to Lucky, InStyle and Glamour magazines, and Nylon through my iPad, though these magazines have less and less of an influence over my daily style with each day. I used to stare longingly at the mailbox each month, waiting on baited breathe for each new issue to arrive. But now that I have so many blogs in my Google Reader to keep me informed I barely use my magazines as a reference. I will say that Lucky Magazine remains my favorite, though. They're consistently ahead of the trends and I appreciate that they feature street style. I've also learned a lot about new products from their beauty section.

2. Do you watch any fashion TV shows?

The only fashion TV show I watch is Project Runway. Oh, my love for that show is never ending.  I own every season on DVD and can talk about the contestants and challenges for hours. Make an outfit out of items from a party goods store? Create a dress from recycled materials? I'm there. Project Runway invokes urges for me to learn to sew, though there is no doubt that my attempts would only result in a needle through my hand and painful blood transfusions. A sewer I am not. But I can live vicariously through each season.

3. Beyond blogs, what websites do you frequent for fashion inspiration?

I recently got a Pinterest account and have just begun teaching myself how to use it. Pinterest seems to be a great way to gather style inspiration, and I'm excited to figure out how to become more active. I also regularly read the Style section of The New York Times. In addition, Style.com and Shopstyle.com offer interesting and relevant articles about runway trends, fashion news and designer profiles.

4. Advertisements play a huge role in forming public opinion about a product or brand… what ads do you like and why?

I can't say there are any fashion or beauty ads that resonate with me as far as developing a brand following. Though those Jack In The Box commercials crack me up. Not that I eat fast food or anything...

5. Do you own any fashion books?

I am slowly building a substantial library on books regarding vintage, thrift and general fashion. My favorite book regarding vintage clothing is New York Fashion: The Evolution of American Style by Caroline Rennolds Milbank. I bought it used from Amazon and it is a tremendous resource on the history of modern American fashion. Other favorite books for vintage shopping include The Little Guide to Vintage Shopping by Melodie Fortier; Shopping for Vintage: The Definitive Guide to Vintage Shopping by Funmi Odulate; and Vintage Hats & Bonnets 1770-1970 Second Edition by Susan Langley. Currently, I'm going deeper in learning more about the history of fashion and am reading a college textbook titled Survey of Historic Costume. I found it in Half Priced Books and love reading it every night.

I also recently read Nina Garcia's book The One Hundred; Tim Gunn's A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style; and Rachael Zoe's Style A To Zoe: The Art To Fashion, Beauty, and Everything Glamorous.I'd recommend Nina Garcia's over the rest.

Do you have any fashion or style books you'd recommend? I'd love to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment