Friday, January 21, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Authenticity


This is my first week participating in Fashion Beauty Friend Friday! Katy comes up with such thought-provoking questions, and her blog is one of my favorites.

1. Most readers and fellow fashion bloggers value authenticity in the blogs they read. How would you describe blog/blogger authenticity? 

Blogger authenticity is the the fight to remain true to yourself, even if that means going against the grain. It can be difficult to be true to oneself if you're solely focused on attracting followers and being "popular." Authenticity is measured in truthful, sincere posts, where the blogger draws from their own unique perspective, rather than emulating someone else.

2. When it comes to your blog, how to you infuse it with that true/authentic feeling?

My blog is fairly new, and I definitely struggle with being authentic while attempting to gain interest. I believe that my writing is what sets my blog apart. I am not a taciturn person. I have an intellectual, wordy, quirky, somewhat sarcastic way of writing, and I want to remain true to that as my blog grows.

3. Have you stopped following a blog in the last three months? What made you lose interest?

The blogs that have lost me as a reader are those that became too concerned with fancy fonts, edited photos and pandering to sponsors. I read blogs because I enjoy a different perspective on everyday life. They  encourage me to challenge old ways of thinking and take risks, whether in fashion, femininity, or my relationships. Blogs that become too polished and pandering smack of insincerity to me. The seem much more focused on promoting products. If I wanted that, I'd read a fashion magazine.

4. We can't communicate effectively on our blogs, something we don't live in real life... what are some ways you try to live an authentic life?

I live authentically by continually challenging myself to be true to who I am. I constantly question whether my wants are driven by a desire to emulate someone else. I never want to lose sight of my own opinions, whether through the choice I've made in clothing, the music I listen to, or the words I communicate with.

5. Give a shout-out... Which bloggers do you think are truly genuine and why? 

Indiana of Adored Austin, Angela of Everyone Loves Lipstick, Erin of Work With What You've Got, and Suze of Miss Vinyl Ahoy. These bloggers are consistently inspiring and thought-provoking. And they aren't afraid to express vulnerability through their posts, which proves their authenticity.

Leave a comment below if you have thoughts on authenticity as a blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment