Friday, April 22, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Inspiration

This week, Fashion Beauty Friend Friday is focusing on inspiration. Whether you find inspiration in music, friends, books, art, or where you live, there's no shortage of opportunities to spark creativity. I'm excited to learn how other bloggers find their inspiration and looking forward to reading posts about the topic!

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun by checking out the  Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And don't forget to check out Modly Chic - it's such a great blog.



1. Which celebrity (celebrities) do you look to for fashion inspiration?

I find inspiration in a number of celebrities, all of whom have a very distinctive sense of personal style. I really love Rachel Zoe's seventies clothes and accessories. She's encouraged me to consider flared jeans, oversized blazers, faux fur, large framed sunglasses and loads of jewelry. I admire Dita Von Teese's ability to blend vintage clothing with modern touches. She always looks absolutely gorgeous, and her vintage dress and hat collections are pure genius. Cate Blanchett continues to to inspire me with her brave approach towards fashion - she wears pieces straight off the runway and on her, they make sense. And Christina Hendricks' red hair inspired me to color my own!

2. When it comes to your own personal style, what inspires you?

I'm inspired by so many things - fashion history, books,  friends, music, the state I live in (go Texas!) and pop culture.  As a lover of vintage and thrifted pieces, I especially appreciate clothing from a historical perspective. Particular decades in fashion always inspire me, but especially the feminine silhouettes of the fifties, colorful and exuberant fashions of the eighties, and 1970's disco glam. I almost always have my nose in a book about fashion, designers, vintage clothing, or accessories. Of course, I'm incredibly inspired by other fashion bloggers as well. I often scroll through my blogroll to help me figure out how to wear a particular item. Reading blogs has really helped me define my own sense of personal style.

3. How do you hope to inspire your readers?

Since I started my blog, my mission has always been to encourage women to dress with courage and shop where they feel comfortable. That translates into wearing what you want, not what you think you should because of your age/background/geographical location. Dressing with courage also means shopping where you wish, may it be at thrift stores, vintage boutiques, and every place in between. So many women hold themselves back from really exploring fashion because they think they shouldn't wear skinny jeans, or elaborate outfits, or lots of accessories. I encourage my readers to really embrace their own individual sense of style. And as a woman in my thirties with three kids, I prove that age has nothing to do with how one should dress. I wear what I want, and shop where I want.

4. Outside the realm of fashion, who/what inspires you?

I'm inspired by the people I encounter while exploring Dallas. It's amazing who you can meet, and what you can learn, just by introducing yourself and being friendly. Since I've started devoting more time to thrifting and vintage, I've meet some wonderful shop owners who have taught me more about developing my own sense of personal style,  and collecting vintage clothing. And they're so much fun to hang out with! I get a lot of my writing inspiration from whatever book I happen to be reading at the moment, though I especially love David Sedaris, Sloane Crosley, and Augusten Burroughs. If it's snarky, sarcastic, and makes me laugh, I'm all over it.

5. And since Idol is ending… Which songs inspire you? 

Oh gosh...this one is tough. Different music inspires me during different times. When I'm getting ready for a night out, I listen to a lot of Jay-Z, Eminem, Nicki Minaj,  Beyonce, and The Black Keys. While blogging, I like quieter music from Greg Laswell, The Civil Wars, Ray LaMontagne, Regina Spektor, and Iron & Wine. And every now and then I break out some Elton John, Brittney Spears, Morrissey, Led Zeppelin, Jem, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.

(Now I ask you- what are you inspirations? What celebrities do you look towards for inspiration? And what music gets you going?)

No comments:

Post a Comment