Friday, April 29, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Fitness

This week, Fashion Beauty Friend Friday is focused on fitness. As someone with little to no coordination and almost zero athletic ability, I've always been curious about those women who are able to tolerate getting sweaty without having a full-scale nervous breakdown (such as I am accustomed to.) I'm intrigued by these women, these warriors of the gym and running paths, who seem to glide by almost effortlessly in a blissful state of endorphin rush. I'm a little excited to read the other responses to this week's questions.

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun by checking out the  Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And don't forget to check out Modly Chic - it's such a great blog.


 

1. Do you keep some kind of fitness routine? Why?

I am the very last person you would consider athletic. Coordination is not my strong suit. Occasionally I fall over when tying my shoes. And I feel awkward and self-conscious at the gym. In the past, I've tried to work around these weaknesses by avoiding team sports. In college I was an equestrian, which provided a surprising good workout. I was also involved on the crew team, filling the role of coxswain in the skull. The cox does absolutely no rowing, exerting themselves by screaming at the team to keep them coordinated. Oh, and the cox steers the boat by pulling gently on a little lever. But I could tell everyone I was on the crew team, and in my head that counted for something.

In the last year, motivated by a desire to become more muscular, I've discovered running.  And I love it. Running makes me feel strong, and powerful, and accomplished. When I run my brain relaxes, and all those little nagging worries are drowned out by the pounding of my feet and rhythm of my breathing. And I've grown to embrace my sweaty body after a run - it's proof that I've conquered a workout. Running is a surprise stress reliever, and that's the biggest reward.

2. Has working out, maybe training for a marathon or something of that nature, helped with your own perception of body image?

When I'm running regularly I definitely feel better about my body. I spent so many years hating how I looked and punishing myself through starvation and purging behaviors. Settling into a workout routine makes me feel more self-confident, and has encouraged me to look at myself in a totally different light. Because of running, I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was. I'm physically capable of more than I dreamed. And it feels really good.

3. When you are hitting the gym or just going out for a long walk, what do you wear? Is it about functionality or fashion?

I suppose I take both into account when choosing my workout wear. I really like Nike's Tempo running shorts, and purchased them in bulk at the Nike Factory Store near my house. They're comfortable, lightweight and don't ride up. I also like Old Navy's long sports tanks with a sports bra underneath. I like to coordinate my tanks with my shorts, but I go so far as wearing makeup or doing my hair before working out. I do have one rule regarding athletic apparel, though: It should remain at the gym. Personally, I would never pull on workout clothes to grab something to eat or run errands.

4. Do you feel there is a cultural perception of what you ‘should’ be doing for your own physical fitness?

I'm not entirely sure. Ever since Jane Fonda made aerobics popular back in the eighties, there's been a certain push for women to work out. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as exercising is something you do for you, rather than to impress your friends or fit in with those around you. In addition, working out should always been done in moderation. It should not dominate your life at the sacrifice of relationships and other activities. And, as with most things, it shouldn't be an obsession. I've met women who worked out excessively and developed serious injuries as a result. Balance is key.

5.  Dream big… what would be your ultimate fitness goal?

My goal is simple: I'd like to follow a regular fitness routine that I enjoy. In the past working out has either been something I dreaded or did to excess. Running regularly, and looking forward to my runs, is a simple goal that makes the most sense to me. Perhaps I'll run a 10k someday, or even a half-marathon. But right now I don't feel the need to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment