Friday, April 1, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Rules of Engagement

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun by checking out the  Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And definitely read Modly Chic - it's such a great blog!

Pic from We Heart It

1. Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot?

The best way to go about securing a guest post is to express genuinely appreciation for the blog you wish to guest-post on. Establishing communication with the blog's author through frequent comments is a great way to show your interest, and following those comments up with an email expressing interest in guest posting is the ideal way to go. I think sincerity is key.

2. Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’?

We've all received those short, groveling comments that beg for a follow. I don't think many blog authors takes them seriously. Personally, I don't give a follow-back unless the commenter leaves frequent and thoughtful remarks or questions while commenting.  I work really hard crafting my blog posts, and I genuinely love receiving a thoughtful comment, whether it's complimentary or not. Have something interesting to say to make yourself memorable, and you'll probably end up with a follow back.

3. We’ve all gotten a mass email at one time or another asking for blog exposure, a link exchange, etc… but mass emails don’t work. How do you make your email stand out from the crowd?

I've sever sent out such an email. It feels too much like pandering to me. However, if I did, it would be similar to the suggestions I gave to question 1 above: I'd express appreciation and gratitude to the blog's author, tell them exactly what I enjoyed about their blog, and ask them kindly for their advice regarding what I could improve on my own blog or for their suggestions regarding how to generate more followers/interest. Then I would ask for exposure, either through a guest post or link to one of my posts (if it's relevant to their discussion.) The blogger community is incredibly supportive, and I think we all enjoy helping one another out.

4. In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line between seeking support and begging for exposure?

It's all about establishing sincere relationships. Become a follower, leave thoughtful comments, and follow the blogger you admire on Twitter (and/or Facebook.) Open up a line of communication, and follow through. Be polite, be genuine, and look at the relationship like you would a friendship - would you try to take advantage of a friend? This is no different.

5. What’s one rule of engagement error you've made, and how did you remedied it? 

I'd like to think I haven't made an errors in engaging other bloggers! Sometimes I think I could be more aggressive in pursuing opportunities to guest blog. As a new blogger I'm still trying to draw followers and promote my blog, and there's no more efficient way to do that than through a guest post on a blog I admire. Perhaps I need to be more brave and ask my favorite blogs if I could guest post - eeek! And maybe I should solicit offers for guest posters on my own blog. It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment