Friday, April 8, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Spring trends

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun by checking out the  Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And definitely read Modly Chic - it's such a great blog!

What are the top 5 Spring trends that you are looking forward to seeing/sporting this season? (Can be anything from makeup, shoes, accessories, clothing, etc..) 

Spring is a tricky season to dress for. It starts off cold, damp and windy, and blossoms into gentle days of mild temperatures and sunny skies. Here  in Dallas we are privy to a very short spring season. It's only early April and temperatures are predicted to be in the nineties both today and tomorrow!


Here are a few of my top spring 2011 trends:


Swedish hasbeens

Platform Clogs: I've posted about my inability to wear heels. Just looking at a pair of stilettos makes my feet spontaneously blister. I have very small feet and a high arch, and it's tough to find a heel that gives me enough support that I don't careen ungracefully into furniture. That's why I'm so excited about the return of platform clogs. I love their chunky heel and supportive platform. It also helps that they usually come with an ankle strap, which gives my feet a bit more support.


Peter Som Spring 2011

High-rise jeans: I'm a short woman. At barely five feet three inches, I'm constantly searching for clothes that make me look taller and leaner. So I'm kind of excited about the return of high-waisted pants and jeans. With a tucked-in or cropped shirt and chunky platform shoe, they'll make my legs look miles long.


Chris Benz spring 2011

Mixed Prints: This trend has been around since the 90's, but it seems to have come full force this spring. During this season's spring fashion week, nearly every designer sent looks based around mixed prints down the runway. It's a tricky look,  but here's a piece of advice: Stick to one or two colors (or a few in the same family) when mixing and matching to avoid the crazy-lady look. I love mixing stripes with florals - it's fun, eclectic, and playful.

Joie high-low maxi dress


Maxi Dresses: I'll be honest - I'm not entirely convinced I can pull this trend off without looking as if I'm drowning in yards of fabric. But I love the easy, effortless look a maxi dress brings.  And belting the dress gives more definition to your waist and more structure to the look. In cooler weather, I'd add a loose cardigan to provide a bit of coverage.

Dior spring 2011 runway

Bright eye makeup: It's only recently that I've become a cosmetics junkie (I blame Erin of Work With What You've Got for this. Thanks Erin. You know what you did.) Adding bold eyeshadow colors such as purple, pink, green, or blue helps enhance eyes and attracts some attention towards your face. This type of makeup requires a lighter touch elsewhere, so I pair bright eyeshadow with nude or light pink gloss.


What are some of your favorite spring trends? And what are some trends you want no part of?

No comments:

Post a Comment