Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Style Blog Spotlight: Carrie of La Rizada

I was so excited to have the opportunity to interview Carrie, author of one of my absolute favorite blogs, La Rizada. Her blog was one of the first I started following, and I was immediately struck by her eloquent writing and truly unique personal style. She's a passionate thrifter, writer, and grad student based in New Mexico (a state I've always wanted to visit) and includes an interesting perspective on life there. 

I've really enjoyed getting to know her and hope you'll take the time to check her out too!





1. What made you want to be become a style blogger?

Well, I fell into the rabbithole of style blogs about a year ago, ravenously consumed them for months, and then the idea of starting my own blog slowly dawned on me. Could I do it? Would I want to do it? I decided I wanted to be a more active participant in the style-blogging community, so I started La Rizada. It's still pretty new, so I feel a little shaky from time to time, but I'm enjoying it so far.

2. How would you describe your personal style?

This is a hard one for me. I guess I would describe it as kind of feminine Western bohemian. I love big jewelry, boots, scarves, prints and dresses, which is the bohemian side, but I can also get down with some plain black pants and a Breton-stripe shirt, Audrey Hepburn-style. I love to mix vintage with newer clothes, too. I'm kind of eclectic, I guess? Probably everyone says that when asked to describe their own personal style, but I feel like it does ring true for me!

3. What do you hope to accomplish with your blog?

I'm not sure I know what I want to accomplish quite yet. I'd like to become part of the blogging community and I'd like to eventually parlay blogging into a way to write about clothes for pay (a pipe dream, most likely!)

4. So far, what is your favorite part about blogging?

I've really enjoyed getting to know specific bloggers (like yourself!)  (editor's note: Thanks Carrie!) and learning about life in different parts of the country and the world. I love it when bloggers talk about their day-to-day life in outfit posts. I'm really glad I started my style blog spotlight series, too, because it gives me the opportunity to connect with and learn from other bloggers, as well as give them a little bit of exposure. 

5. What is an unusual fact about you?

I minored in Jewish Studies in college even though I'm not Jewish. Is that unusual enough? I was one of only 3 people that did that in my whole 40,000 person university! I just find Jewish culture really interesting, and I really enjoyed learning more about it.

6. What are some of your favorite blogs?

I love Delightfully Tacky, Adored Austin, Cakies, Selective Potential, Lindsey Soup, What Would A Nerd Wear, blogs that feature real women who come across as relatable and genuine. And of course, Dress With Courage, which consistently blows me away with its amazing prose.

7. Describe a day in the life of Carrie.

Well, I'm a graduate student who also teaches, so I'm commonly found either teaching or preparing for class. A typical day for me would include teaching my class, spending some time working on my own schoolwork at my local coffeeshop, going thrifting or grocery shopping, making dinner, grading papers, and watching Hulu. Nothing too exciting, I'm afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment