Saturday, February 5, 2011

Outfit Post: If snow were a person, I would punch it in the face.

This is what I wore when I woke up to over six inches of snow. This is what I wore when I unleashed a spew of profanity at Mother Nature, meteorologists, cold toes, frosted windowpanes and soggy mittens and gloves. This is what I wore when the power went out in our home and my family and I huddled around our gas fireplace, desperately absorbing the little heat it cranked out. This is what I wore during my fourth day trapped inside the house with three restless, antsy, hyperactive children - three children who begged for a continuous stream of Tom and Jerry, Fruit Loops, and permission to clothe themselves in only their underwear (it was like Lord of the Flies around here, people.) 

This is what I wore when I wondered why in the hell I left Iowa when the weather here is almost as God-awful as it is there. Maybe worse, because here in Dallas we get crippling ice storms while Iowa is softly covered under gentle fluffy layers of snow.

Iowans are a hardy folk. When faced with winter weather, they merely shrug their shoulders and matter-of-factly break out their down coats and snow blowers and shovels. No one freaks out. No one gets cranky. No one becomes hostile. This is probably why I only lasted a year as an Iowan. I become monumentally bitchy and annoyed when it snows. I pity those who are forced to be with me (wave to my husband) because I am an absolute beast to be around. I just can't help it. I am a sunshiney kind of girl. I need blue skies and mild temperatures and the slight glow of a tan. I need green grass and flowers in bloom and long afternoons soaking up the sun at the Dallas Arboretum. I need to drink coffee on a restaurant patio and drive with the windows down and GOD DAMM IT, I CANNOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE AAAUUUUGGGGHHHH.


You have betrayed me, Dallas. Hard. I thought you loved me. I thought we made promises between each other. You promised to always be warm and sunny and I swore to always love you. But now there's a crack in our relationship, Dallas. And I'm not sure I can get over it. But I'll admit today's sunny yellow cardigan helped.


So...how did you handle this week's crappy weather?


Vintage thrifted Pendelton cardigan; Forever 21 button-down, Gap white tee; Forever 21 belt; thrifted Citizens Of Humanity jeans; Michael Korrs boots




No comments:

Post a Comment