Friday, June 3, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Vacation, all I ever wanted...

Now that summer is in full swing here… and vacations are coming up, let’s talk about what you’re packing to take on vacation.

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun by checking out the  Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And don't forget to check out Modly Chic - it's such a great blog.



1.      When it comes to packing for vacation what’s your mantra?

If it fits, bring it. I am a chronic overpacker. I usually end up begging my husband to sit on our suitcase so I can zip it closed. I always curse myself when I arrive at my vacation destination, because not only do I end up not wearing 70% of what I pack, but I bring so
much that there's often no room in my suitcase to buy new things while I'm away.

Yesterday I bought a gorgeous vintage 1950's Samsonite suitcase at an estate sale, and I'm hoping its small proportions help restrain me when packing for a trip.

2.      What are your must packs?

Technically, my must packs are things I know I won't be able to buy at my vacation destination. That included any medication, special books, and my jewelry. As far as clothing goes, for spring and summer I make sure to pack dresses, a pair of cutoff shorts, a few tee shirts, a pair of jeans, a cardigan, and one or two "nice" outfits for evenings out. Throw in three pairs of flat and platforms sandals and I'm off.

3.      What are you happy to leave behind?

Honestly, I'm happy to leave my workout gear at home. Running is a big part of my life, but I strongly believe that unless you're a Kenyan long-distance runner training for a marathon there is not need to pack your sneakers, sports bras and tanks. They take up too much valuable suitcase space, and you're probably going to doing a lot of walking while engaged in touristy things anyway.

4.      Any packing secrets that help you get everything into one suitcase?

When packing, I make sure to pack my heaviest, most bulky garments (such as jeans and sweaters) on the bottom of my suitcase, and layer from there. Rolling shirts prevents wrinkles and saves space, as does laying skirts flat. If I'm packing dresses I turn them inside out - this prevents their zippers from getting caught on anything else in my suitcase. Cosmetics and hair care products always go in Zip-Loc bags in case something spills.

5.      Beach reading… what are you taking with you to read in the sand?

I just finished 22 Britannia Road and thought it would make the perfect beach read. The last time I went to NYC I brought Anthropology of an American Girl along with me, which I can best describe as a blend between Catcher in the Rye and Portrait of a Lady. Both of these books are intense and lengthy, which is exactly what I'm looking for in a book while on vacation.

(Don't miss my giveaway for a TIKKR watch and extra band - so great for summer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment