Friday, March 18, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: In the beginning

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun and take part in the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And be sure to check out Modly Chic too!

So far, what have been the 5 hardest blogging lessons you’ve learned? What have you learned during this process that helped make you a better blogger as a result? 

I'm not sure I can narrow it down to five! I've only been blogging for four months, but I've already learned the hardest lesson - to be authentic and truthful to whom I am.

When I first began blogging I spent too much time examining those other super successful bloggers. I tried to emulate them and figure out what made them so popular. I compared myself to them, questioning what I was doing in regards to how much they'd accomplished. What was their magic formula, I wondered, that got them so many followers? What did they have that I obviously didn't? What made them so desirable? What about them drew in so many readers?

I quickly learned that comparing myself to others was a fruitless and empty mission, and that mu uniqueness was nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it was what set me apart. I am not your typical blogger. I have a lot to say. I enjoy examining fashion and style from a somewhat intellectual and thoughtful perspective. I love writing, and I really enjoy doing research. I am intrigued by what makes the world tick, and I like examining why things are the way they are. An outfit pic accompanied by a few sentences will never be enough for me. That's just how I roll. And that's okay.

If I had to name the five hardest lessons, they'd be:
  1. Stop spending time comparing yourself to other bloggers. It's a fruitless, frustrating activity.
  2. Stay truthful and authentic to who you are. It is your uniqueness that sets you apart and makes your blog stand out from the others.
  3. Don't let blogging overrun your life. Establish a schedule when to write your posts and stick to it.
  4. As a fashion blogger, taking great pics is so important. I upgraded my camera a couple of months ago and what a difference it's made.
  5. The blogging community is smaller than you think. Making connection starts by leaving thoughtful, relevant comments on blogs you follow and inspire you. Ask questions, and tell the blog author you admire them. You'd be surprised how far that can go!

No comments:

Post a Comment