Friday, March 11, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Finding The Balance

The Friend Friday group by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and join a friendly community of bloggers.  Join the fun and take part in the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group. And be sure to check out Modly Chic too!





1. When it comes to prioritizing your life, in what place does blogging fall? 

As wife to a husband who travels for work, and full-time mom to three rambunctious children, blogging falls somewhere in between laundry and homework assignments and errands and all the chaos and disorder kids cause. Thankfully, my children are in school during the day so I am able to devote that time to blogging. This explains what my posts focus equally on my writing and what I'm wearing. I really enjoy researching topics for my posts, and I doubt I'd be able to expound as much as I do if I were working outside the home full-time.

2. We all wish we had more free time to dedicate to blogging and all it entails. What are your tricks for taking advantage of the time you do have to be as productive as possible?

When I started blogging four months ago, I quickly realized it was more time-efficient to compose my posts the day before they're published.  Feeling rushed often leads to grammatical and spelling errors. I just don't work well under pressure, so I scribble up a couple of rough drafts the day before, narrow my focus in the evening, and add my pics to the finished post right before publishing it the next morning. Then I start working on the next day's draft.

3. Have you discovered any short-cuts that makes blogging easier or more time efficient?

I recently bought myself an iPad (naturally, right before the new model is due to be released) and I use a note-taking app quite a lot for jotting down ideas as they come. You never know where you'll find inspiration, and having an iPad or pen and notepad handy is the best way to take advantage when inspiration strikes.I also rely on my iPad magazine subscriptions for fashion and style-related articles that I often rely on as a resource for topics to blog about. And I use my iPhone Twitter app all the time to keep in touch with other bloggers - who better to brainstorm with?

4. Do you have an editorial calendar or something similar that helps you plan ahead?

I do...kinda. My blog has regular features that give it a bit of predictability. On Sunday I do a week-in-review post; Thursday I post a new part of my Thrifting 101 series; and Friday is FBFF (of course!) I post every single day, no matter what. Having a weekly schedule of features takes a lot of the pressure off.

 5. If time wasn’t an issue what you would be doing on your blog/for your blog that you aren’t doing now? 

If I had my afternoons and evenings free, I'd probably spend time establishing relationships with shop owners and managers in my area. Someday I'd like to have sponsors on my blog, and feature giveaways from local designers and stores. In order to do that, I need to promote my blog more and reach out to businesses I shop at. With my attention devoted to my kids on the evenings and weekends, it's tough for me to really get to know the employees at stores I shop at. Hopefully I can figure out how to make things work.

No comments:

Post a Comment