Saturday, December 25, 2010

Run run Rudolph

The cookies for Santa have been eaten. Presents have been unwrapped. Stocking have been pillaged. And my kids are bouncing around the house like they're on meth. It must be Christmas!

I'm thrilled the day has finally arrived. All the weeks leading up to it are kind of draining. I hate the gnawing anticipation and anxiety to make this Christmas even better than the last. Conversations with friends have revealed that I'm far from the only one who feels worn out by the time Christmas Day arrives. We're ready for an end to holiday music and commercials urging us to buy just one more present to show people that we really love them.  We're ready to wave goodbye to mall Santas, Salvation Army bell-ringers, and lines of crazed shoppers at Target. We want to stop worrying about what to serve, what to buy, and how we're going to live with our mother-in-law without resorting to violence.

One of the reasons I hate the commercialization of Christmas is that it infallibly results in a post-seasonal depression. While I'm happy for Christmas to finally arrive, I know I'll experience a little let-down in the weeks ahead. There's so much pressure, from all kinds of sources, to have the "perfect" holiday season. Magazines instruct us on the perfect holiday menu, table decorations, and music to play in the background. Television hosts teach us how to choose and decorate the perfect Christmas tree. Supermarkets advertise the perfect wine. Stores hawk the perfect gift for moms/teachers/aunts/neighbors/school bus drivers/spouses. Commercials tell us what the perfect outfit for entertaining is, and where to buy it. It seems that there's nothing else to talk about.

And then, suddenly, BAM! it's over, and it's January and freezing out and everything looks bleak and colorless and sort of sad. And now, there really is nothing to talk about.

I hate that let-down. It kind of takes away from the appreciative, grateful spirit we should have after Christmas. We should be fondly mulling over the time we spent with family, enjoying whatever Santa brought us, and reflecting on how fortunate we are. Instead we're mopey and depressed. This year, I'm going to work harder than I ever have to avoid post- Christmas traumatic stress disorder. I'm going to see my friends, focus on building this blog, start some new books and resume training for a 10k. I'm going to make some long-range goals for a business. 

And who knows...the end of the holidays might be the start of something even better.

Thrifted vintage Pendelton wool blazer; thrifted Kansas State tee; Target long-sleeved tee; Old navy jeggings; Justin boots; Forever 21 necklace; Forever 21 bracelets




No comments:

Post a Comment